BASIC ABOUT THE PROJECT: The project is aimed at protecting the environment and nature through the activities of cleaning illegal waste dumps and arranging wells which are part of the natural heritage in the area of Vrhovčak in Samobor. The project raises the level of environmental awareness of users and creates additional tourism value for the rural community where the activities are carried out.
HOLDER: Association for sustainable development of Pozitiva Samobor
OBJECTIVES: Raising the ecological awareness of citizens through education, cleaning activities of illegal waste disposal sites and rehabilitation and improvement of public wells in the area of Vrhovčak in Samobor.
FINANCED BY: Zagreb County
AMOUNT: 18.424,00 kn
IMPLEMENTATION TIME: 6 months
There are over 350 illegal waste disposal sites in the Zagreb County, in addition to which there are a number of unregistered smaller landfills that spontaneously arise in rural areas, most often in forests in the immediate vicinity of public roads. The existence of illegal landfills, in addition to indicating the still insufficiently developed ecological awareness of people, also represents an extremely high risk of environmental pollution, primarily soil and groundwater. In the area of Vrhovčak in Samobor, there are several smaller illegal waste dumps, some of which pose an increased risk of environmental pollution because they are located in the immediate vicinity of wells with drinking water that the inhabitants of the settlement used in the past for watering, drinking and cooking.
The main problem, the solution of which this project aims to influence, are:
- The existence and constant appearance of new illegal waste disposal sites in the rural area of Samobor, as a result of insufficiently developed citizens' awareness of the need for adequate waste disposal and environmental protection.
- The need to rehabilitate public wells in the area of Vrhovčak as a source of drinking water and a natural, cultural and tourist asset of Zagreb County.
The specific objectives of the project are:
- Raise the level of citizens' awareness of the existence and need for rehabilitation of illegal waste disposal sites
- Increase citizens' knowledge about the methods of prescribed waste disposal, with a focus on the possibilities of reusing waste (e.g. recycling, composting, etc.)
- Increase citizens' knowledge about the possibilities of using wells and ways of functioning as a source of drinking water.
- Encourage citizens' initiative and promote their active participation in matters of environmental and nature protection
- Carry out cleaning activities of illegal waste disposal sites in the area of Vrhovčak in Samobor
- To carry out rehabilitation and improvement activities of public wells in the area of Vrhovčak in Samobor
The project will directly involve a total of 50 users from the area of Zagreb County, who are members of the following target groups:
- Primary and secondary school students from the area of the City of Samobor
- Young people between the ages of 15 and 35 who are volunteers of the Association for Sustainable Development Pozitiva Samobor and are actively involved in implementing and independently creating activities aimed at protecting the environment and nature (15 users in total)
- Interested citizens from the area of Zagreb County, who, through their activities, strive to contribute to the raising of environmental awareness and the preservation and protection of natural heritage in the area of the County (total of 20 users).
The project envisages the implementation of the following activities:
- Preparatory activities, the goal of which is the creation of project materials necessary to ensure visibility and networking with relevant local and regional sections that provide support for the implementation of projects
- Introductory conference, the aim of which is to familiarize the interested public and users with the basic specifications of the project and to involve a wide range of citizens in project activities
- 2 activities of cleaning up illegal waste disposal sites in the area of Vrhovčak in Samobor and educating citizens, the aim of which is to remove existing waste and increase citizens' knowledge about methods of disposal and the possibilities of reusing it
- 1 multi-day activities of rehabilitation and arrangement of public wells in the area of Vrhovčak in Samobor and education of citizens
- 1 citizen education activity on preventing the creation of new illegal waste disposal sites and methods of successful exploitation of project results
- Creation of a digital publication whose goal is to increase citizens' knowledge about public wells as natural assets and their additional touristic value in the area of Zagreb County.
- The final conference, the goal of which is the presentation and dissemination of project results to the interested public.